Target audience

The programme aims at three types of students;

  • recent graduates,
  • international students, and
  • professionals.

In general, any highly motivated candidate with a master’s degree, a keen interest in Sustainability, Food and Packaging, basic knowledge of Microsoft Excel, and sufficient background in chemistry and mathematics can be admitted. 

If you hold a master’s degree in an entirely different field of study, your application will still be considered if you can demonstrate the necessary academic requirements.

Students with certain minor gaps in their educational background will be provided with extra learning materials (for example in microbiology or biochemistry).

Want to find out whether your background in chemistry and mathematics is sufficient? Test yourself with this self-evaluation.

Academic requirements

Each application file is evaluated by the programme committee irrespective of the diploma obtained, and has to be approved by the registrar’s office.

  • Applicants must have a master’s degree or a bachelor’s degree of minimum 4 years from a university or recognised equivalent. Good overall scores are recommended.
  • Applicants are expected to have a basic science training (e.g. demonstrable in the transcripts) in (i) Mathematics and Statistics; and (ii) General and/or Organic Chemistry.
  • Applicants are expected to add a short letter of motivation.

If you do not yet hold a master’s degree but expect to graduate before the start of the programme, you should submit your application package before the deadline. Instead of the legalised diploma and final transcripts/diploma supplement, you are required to submit upon application:

    • an official declaration from your school/university confirming the expected graduation date and the exact name of the diploma that will be awarded
    • your most recent transcript

Language proficiency requirements

The applicant must be proficient in English.
Students who do not have a diploma Secondary or Higher Education from an institution recognised by the Flemish Government, can meet the language proficiency by providing a certificate (not older than 5 years) of one of the following tests:

  • a TOEFL TEST, with a score ranging from at least 510 up to and including 559 (paper-based), or ranging from at least 72 up to and including 94 (Internet-based) or above. Participants are to specify “institution code” 2643 if they want the test results to be communicated directly to Ghent University
  • an original ‘Academic Test Report Form’ (TRF) from IELTS, with an overall score of at least 6.0
  • a B2 ITACE for students certificate awarded by the Ghent University Language Centre (Universitair Centrum voor Talenonderwijs, UCT), Linguapolis (University of Antwerp), the Leuven Language Institute (Instituut voor Levende Talen, ILT), or the Academic Language Centre (ACTo -VUB)
  • a B2 certificate awarded by a university language centre
  • the final test certificate for the course Practical English 5 or English for Written Academic Purposes, issued by the Ghent University Language Centre
  • a B2 First certificate Cambridge Assessment English (former First certificate in English(FCE))
  • Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic), with a score of 59 up to and including 75
  • International Baccalaureate in English B (SL, level 5, 6 & 7); International Baccalaureate in English B (HL, level 5 & 6); International Baccalaureate in English A (SL, level 5 & 6); Baccalaureate in English A (HL, level 5 & 6)

TOEFL/IELTS predictive tests and TOEIC will not be accepted

The following are exempt from submitting a certificate B2 English: 

  • Students who have a diploma (Secondary Education, Academic Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degree) issued by an institution officially recognised by the Flemish Government
  • Students who have successfully completed programme units in higher education with a minimum of 60 ECTS-credits where English was the language of instruction. A certificate that the language of instruction was English has to be submitted for institutions in countries where English is not the national language.

Other requirements

Students with a Chinese diploma need to obtain the APS certificate.

An APS certificate is a condition for obtaining a student visa at the Belgian Embassy or Consulate General in PR China.

For all information, please visit

Not sure if you meet the criteria?

Check out our FAQ page